Thursday, March 22, 2007

Time Is Flying By This Week...

Today I am going to post the last older Japanese doll book I have. I guess now days one would call it a vintage Japanese doll book.


I saw this book somewhere for sale still a few months back. But, I have looked and looked for it to link to and I just can't find it.


There are many different sizes of dolls in this book. And most of the clothes are sewn onto the doll. But, it would be easy enough to make them removable.

So many nice hair styles and cute faces.

Also there are different themes for the dolls from traditional looking ones....

To story characters, like Pippi Longstockings, My Fair Lady, and Sound of Music.

Then there are the just sitting there looking pretty dolls.

Or these little ones, one happy and one sad.

Also were these small dolls

to go along with the poem of each child of the week.

I have always liked this doll and how she even has little toes.

Yes, as you can see from the above instructions, you have to make tiny balls for each toe.

The only thing I might play with is how the heads are made. I had made some puppets years ago that had noses like the one above. Sometimes it is hard to not get a bump or line where you connect it to the head. I think I would try it like the noses here. The other thing I might do differently is how the eyes are made. These eyes are made from fabric that you fray for the eyelashes. I think I might just paint them on.

I hope you have enjoyed the pictures from this book. I know I still like looking through this book.

2 comments:

Shelby said...

I DID enjoy these pictures.. very interesting and thanks for sharing!
take care:)

Anonymous said...

I had a couple of books from this author (mine were more recent, there were no elongated doll), but I sold them when I moved. I went to her shop once and made one of her dolls from a kit. It was not particularly easy to make - the body was stuffed with straw and you had to sew weights into the feet. Here's a photo from the archives :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90249048@N00/431534637/