Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Have had a day of just doing school work and laundry. (Oh, the boy also got a haircut from traveling neighbor hair-stylist. She had just done a couple of gals down the street and hit us on her way home. He looks a lot better and we think his bike helmet will fit again. We all are amazed at how much hair that boy can grow. I think he has enough for about 3 people.)

Thought I would do a post on a book that I am re-reading.

The book is called The Hidden Art of Homemaking by Edith Schaeffer. Once you read the book you will get the title. I have learned much from the writings of both her and her husband Francis Scaeffer. This is a short book with a lot of good information on daily life and how creative we really are. It does amaze of how differently this book makes me look at just doing everyday things for those in my home. The chapters are:

The First Artist
What is Hidden Art?
Music
Painting, Sketching, Sculpturing
Interior Decoration
Garden and Gardening
Flower Arrangements
Food
Writing-Prose and Poetry
Drama
Creative Recreation
Clothing
Integration
Environment

The book has been illustrated by a member of the L'Abri community (which they started in the late 1950's in Switzerland).

Each chapter is started with an illustration like the one above and have many smaller illustration through out.

I am also going to re-read her other book What is a Family? I know of some folks that read this book each year just to remind them of all the information in it.

Well, it is back to schoolwork. We are having a nice day out so I have been able to get all the camping stuff washed from Winter Camp. The duffel bags all had a fuel smell to them so they are outside washed and drying on the line.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This book sounds very interesting! I'll have to see if I can get it here.